The No Pants Subway Ride is an annual event which started in New York City and spread throughout the world's big cities.
Toronto, of course, has its own No Pants Subway Ride organized by Improv Toronto. In this event, a group enters the subway car and slowly remove their pants. Some bring hang their pants right there and some just keep them in their backpacks or a plastic bag. Participants may talk to each other but most of them just pretend they don't know each other. They read a book or a newspaper or take a nap or just do nothing---like a normal day in the subway.
No Pants Subway Ride has become a global phenomenon. It started with only 7 participants which led to the arrest of the participants in NYC in 2002 but later a judge made its decision that it's not illegal to wear an underwear in the subway. Since then, the event is done in 21 cities around the world.
Requirements For Participation:
1. Willing to take pants off on subway
2. Able to keep a straight face about it
Details of the No Pants Subway Ride
Last year, there were about 350 people entered TTC subway cars pantless!
WHEN: January 9th, 2011
WHERE: Assemble at the giant horseman statue in the middle of Queen's Park (walk South from Museum Station)
TIME: 3:00 PM
WHAT TO BRING: TTC Card/tokens, a backpack where you gonna put your pants
WHAT TO WEAR: Your normal winter clothes.
WHAT NOT TO BRING: A camera. Somebody / some volunteers are assigned to do that.
How It Works
So, this how it goes...
1. Assemble at Queen's Park at the horseman statue at 3:00 PM. Be on time.
2. Head to Museum Station. No talking once you are in the subway. Pretend. Wait for the train going South.
3. Board the assigned train cars (follow the Team Leader).
4. Sit in the car just like you always do.
5. The team leader will have already divided the participants and will have already assigned a certain group where to take off your pants.
6. As soon as the door shuts in stops, stand and take off your pants like you always do at home. Keep them in your backpack or plastic bag.
7. If anyone asks you, tell him/her that you're "getting uncomfortable )or something like that)."
8. Exit the train at your assigned stop and stand on the platform---pantless. Wait for the next train to arrive and enter.
9. Again, when you enter, act normally. Pretend that you do NOT know the other pantless riders. When asked, tell them that you forgot your pants. Be nice and normal.
10. Everyone will exit the train at Eglinton Station.
11. Repeat the same thing back down around the loop. Feel free to take off if it's your stop heading home.
Boxers? Briefs? Pantyhose? Stockings? Thong?
You can wear fun underwear if you like, but nothing that screams out I wore this because I’m doing a silly stunt.
Wear two pairs of underwear if it makes you feel more comfortable.
Don’t wear a thong or anything else that might offend people. Our aim is to make people laugh, not piss them off.
MORE DETAILS LATER:
The organizers are currently looking for some sort of after party location. Hopefully a bar, that will offer an pant-less deal. Stay tuned.